Sunday, May 8, 2016

body image

I don't remember when the ideals of what 'type' of body is beautiful were pushed upon me, but I remember when I was a teenager, all of those models in Girlfriend and Dolly magazine were so thin, and questioning whether at a size ten, I needed to lose weight... There was a lot of talk about weight and size, looking back it was such a waste of time, we were so young, and tiny! But it felt like we had to be talking about it... Our parents didn't talk to us about it, or notice the infatuation with thinness... I know now our kids have Instagram to provide us with thigh gaps, and unrealistic expectations of bodies, we already talk about our bodies, health and fitness, sometimes foods and that our bodies are about function rather than aesthetics... I wonder if it will make a difference...
Women Who Run With The Wolves - Clarissa Pinkola Estes

No comments:

Post a Comment