Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Many mothers

This idea of having many mothers is just so beautiful...
One of my favourite things when I was young was Mother's Day, we would have a big celebration with all of the women in our family, my mum, her sisters, my great aunts, my cousins and second cousins, and my nanna was there in spirit too... It was so wonderful to have all of the stories of our family there on one space, there were always stories, advice, and amazing food! Whenever it was Mother's Day, there was always a sense of excitement to connect to our family history, but also to the women, women who had so much knowledge, and shared it... Truly special...
Now it isn't that, for me, for the past 8 years it has been the Mother's Day classic, and this year I am going out with my little family for lunch... But I want that for my kids, I want them to gain knowledge from the women of my family, I want us all to sit around the table and tell stories, pass down what we have learned...
We can have this without a blood family, when I sit around with my girlfriends, I do hope that one day we will have a table we can share with our children to afford them knowledge and feel a part of something special that spans years... I want my kids that there are other women who they can draw from, that they can trust if they feel that they can't come to me or my husband first...
Women Who Run With The Wolves - Clarissa Pinkola Estes

No comments:

Post a Comment