Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Motherhood

Reading this passage about the ugly duckling, with lots of reflections on motherhood and being different, I am having visions of all of the people I know, personally and clients, who struggle with motherhood... It is undoubtedly THE hardest job in the world, and without knowing yourself I can imagine it is infinitely harder...
I find it incredibly hard to stay silent when I see parents who are still seeking their own childhoods having babies, knowing from my own experience the amount of sacrifice and selflessness it takes to raise children... I just wish I could do some really intense work with them to get them ready, though usually there is a very relaxed attitude about it, until they have to start giving things up... Even just sleep, or time...
For the other circumstances mentioned, I think in terms of community, if you are feeling vulnerable as a mum, reach out! You would be surprised the lengths people will go to to throw you a float if you let them know you are drowning... Whether that's helping with the children, or chatting, venting, releasing or going deep into the crux of your feelings...
As a community, whether we have children or not, giving mothers a place to release, offering whatever help you can, is the best thing ever... If you don't know what to offer, give some options
'I'm happy to watch your kids while you rest, to go to the park with you all, to take you out while your partner (or whoever) looks after the kids?'
Relief comes in many forms... With more support less Mums would struggle through the times they find the hardest...
Women Who Run With The Wolves - Clarissa Pinkola Estes

No comments:

Post a Comment